Man dies unexpectedly playing basketball in Grass Valley park
January 17, 2014
A man playing basketball with friends at a Grass Valley park unexpectedly died Wednesday, according to the Grass Valley Police Department.
"It sounds like there was no warning, he just collapsed," Sgt. Jason Perry with the GVPD.
The unnamed individual, whom Perry described as in his mid-30s, was reportedly playing basketball with a group of friends at Condon Park when he suddenly collapsed, Perry said. The man's significant other was also reportedly on scene. Grass Valley police were notified of a medical situation at the park at 4:07 p.m., according to the departments activity logs.
"We were called for an unresponsive male," Perry said. "There was no indication other than some sort of medical emergency."
The man's fellow players attempted CPR, Perry said, and responding medical personnel attempted further medical aid, but it was all to no avail.
The Nevada County Sheriff's Office coroner was called to the scene at approximately 4:37 p.m., according to its own activity logs.
Perry indicated the GVPD has not initiated a suspicious death investigation.
"Everything points toward some sort of medical incident," Perry said.
Calls to the coroner were not returned as of press time Thursday. Check back with The Union as more information becomes available.
To contact Staff Writer Christopher Rosacker, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4236.
Trending In: Local News
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Gold panning at Bridgeport begins today
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Repairs to PG&E canal expected next week; NID says fix comes just in time
- California neighborhood flooded: Residents floated through the streets on rafts and paddleboards laughing
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business