Large animal rescue team responds to down horse
December 17, 2012
Grass Valley and Nevada County Consolidated fire units were requested to assist with rescue of a horse in the 14000 Block of South Ponderosa Way at 10 a.m. Thursday.
Upon arrival fire units found a veterinarian on scene with a horse that had been unable to move for the past several hours, according to a report. The vet at scene was able to provide fluids to the horse.
Fire crews evaluated the conditions and requested additional assistance after making initial attempts to remove the horse.
With arrival of additional fire resources, the horse was lifted and able to stand on its own. Veterinarians on scene provided care to the horse after it was lifted.
The Joint Operational Area (Nevada County Fire, Nevada City Fire and Grass Valley Fire) have specialized equipment and training for large animal rescue incidents including a specialized trailer which responded to this incident.
Trending In: Local News
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Gold panning at Bridgeport begins today
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Repairs to PG&E canal expected next week; NID says fix comes just in time
- California neighborhood flooded: Residents floated through the streets on rafts and paddleboards laughing
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public