Lamphier to lead biomass presentation to Nevada County Board of Supervisors
March 25, 2013
Supervisor Terry Lamphier will lead a presentation to the Board of Supervisors on the activities of the Northern Sierra Biomass Task Force at the board's 1:30 p.m. meeting Tuesday.
The Northern Sierra Biomass Task Force was founded in 2009 to address the growing threat and effects of a catastrophic wildfire, through the establishment of a locally-based biomass energy facility.
The task force is currently engaged in a feasibility study to find ways to make biomass competitive. As a member of the task force, Lamphier said he believes biomass technology is a natural fit for our region in improving forest management and reducing fire danger.
A founding principle of the task force is that all sides in the forest debate must be included in the conversation, Lamphier said in a news release.
To this end, multiple environmental and natural resource organizations are becoming involved, in addition to representatives from science, government and forestry, the release states. These include representatives from the Fire Safe Council, Nevada and Sierra County, Tahoe National Forest, Sierra Forest Legacy, Nevada County Resource Conservation District, Sierra Business Council, the Northern Sierra Air Quality Management District, and the Economic Resource Council.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Nevada County fire: The aftermath (VIDEO)
- For Grass Valley “super senior,” helping children is a way of life
- Internet for All bill, funding broadband projects like Spiral, signed into law
- Carlee D’Arata sentenced to 10 years in prison in Nevada County death of Antonette Thevenin