Inmate kills himself at Nevada County jail
January 23, 2013
A male inmate committed suicide at Wayne Brown Correctional Facility this morning in what Nevada County Sheriff Keith Royal called a "tragic, tragic event."
The man, whose identity has not yet been released pending notification of next of kin, died at about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Royal said.
"There was no indication he was considering suicide," Royal said.
The man had gone up to the second tier of a jail pod, which overlooked a "day area," climbed over the railing and plummeted head-first to the floor below, striking his head on a table.
“There was no indication he was considering suicide.”
— Sheriff Keith Royal
He sustained major head trauma and was pronounced dead at the scene, Royal said.
For more information, check back with The Union.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Target shooting restrictions initiated due to fire danger