Inmate kills himself at Nevada County jail
January 23, 2013
A male inmate committed suicide at Wayne Brown Correctional Facility this morning in what Nevada County Sheriff Keith Royal called a "tragic, tragic event."
The man, whose identity has not yet been released pending notification of next of kin, died at about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Royal said.
"There was no indication he was considering suicide," Royal said.
The man had gone up to the second tier of a jail pod, which overlooked a "day area," climbed over the railing and plummeted head-first to the floor below, striking his head on a table.
“There was no indication he was considering suicide.”
— Sheriff Keith Royal
He sustained major head trauma and was pronounced dead at the scene, Royal said.
For more information, check back with The Union.
Trending In: Local News
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier