Informational meeting on birth doulas Wednesday
September 28, 2012
Those who want to learn more about birth doulas are invited to attend a free informational meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
The meeting is designed for pregnant women to learn more about doulas as well as those interested in becoming a birth doula. The Sierra Childbirth Institute will offer a birth doula training workshop next month in Grass Valley.
The course is approved through DONA International and provides one important step toward certification as a birth doula, also known as a professional labor assistant or childbirth assistant.
This fast-growing profession of women helping other women is the newest addition to the maternity health care team in a hospital. Unlike doctors or midwives, doulas are trained to focus solely on the non-medical needs of women and their families before, during and after childbirth. Birth doulas provide continuous emotional and physical support and are trained to utilize non-medical pain relief in the form of massage, relaxation and movement, as well as other proven techniques.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Target shooting restrictions initiated due to fire danger