House burns down in Nevada County’s Cascade Shores
April 8, 2013
A dog is missing after a residential fire that occurred Thursday night in Cascade Shores.
Firefighters with Nevada County Consolidated Fire District arrived on scene to a house on the 13000 block of Gas Canyon Road that was fully engulfed with flames, said Consolidated Fire Division Chief David Ray.
The owner of the house had left a couple hours earlier and returned home to see his house on fire with a full team of firefighters on scene battling the blaze.
"He was shocked," Ray said.
It is unknown if the dog living at the residence escaped the burning house, but the animal was not present when firefighters were at the scene.
Grass Valley and Nevada City fire departments provided firefighting personnel and the Ophir Hill and Chicago Park-Peardale fire protection districts supplied water tenders due to the remote location of the fire, Ray said.
The priority for firefighters arriving was to contain the blaze to the affected structure, especially given a free-standing garage was within 10 feet of the burning structure, Ray said.
"We initiated a defensive attack," he said.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined. No injuries were reported.
To contact Staff Writer Matthew Renda, email firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-477-4239.