Grass Valley vegetation fire linked to transient camp
June 17, 2013
Fire crews from Grass Valley, Nevada City, Nevada County Consolidated and Cal Fire were dispatched to reported vegetation fire on the hillside off Old Tunnel Road near Town Talk Road at about 6 p.m. Monday.
Engines arrived at scene to find a large spot fire about 300 feet from the road on the hillside, said Grass Valley Fire Battalion Chief Mark Buttron.
Crews placed a hose lay to the fire and extinguished it. Crews then cut a fire line around the large spot fire while investigators surveyed the scene.
Old Tunnel Road remained open during the incident and no injuries were reported.
There are multiple transient camps on the hill and the fire’s point of origin was one of the camps, Buttron said. The fire remains under investigation.
Trending In: Local News
- Grass Valley standoff ends in arrest
- Police blotter: Unlicensed 15-year-old reportedly driving drunk mom home
- Police blotter: Caller reports out-of-tune musicians
- Nevada City’s Stone House reopening pushed back
- Connecting with inner freedom: Camptonville woman brings hope to ‘lifers’ behind bars with Lioness Tale Prison Project