Grass Valley vegetation fire linked to transient camp
June 17, 2013
Fire crews from Grass Valley, Nevada City, Nevada County Consolidated and Cal Fire were dispatched to reported vegetation fire on the hillside off Old Tunnel Road near Town Talk Road at about 6 p.m. Monday.
Engines arrived at scene to find a large spot fire about 300 feet from the road on the hillside, said Grass Valley Fire Battalion Chief Mark Buttron.
Crews placed a hose lay to the fire and extinguished it. Crews then cut a fire line around the large spot fire while investigators surveyed the scene.
Old Tunnel Road remained open during the incident and no injuries were reported.
There are multiple transient camps on the hill and the fire's point of origin was one of the camps, Buttron said. The fire remains under investigation.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Target shooting restrictions initiated due to fire danger