Grass Valley Police arrest assault suspect
March 12, 2013
Grass Valley Police officers arrested a Nevada City man Wednesday afternoon after the suspect, who was wanted in an assault case out of Sierra County, was spotted several times trying to hitchhike at different locations on Highway 49.
The Sierra County Sheriff's Office had issued a be-on-the-lookout advisory for Eric Randall Futterer, 48, at about 8 p.m. Tuesday. Futterer was described as having multiple injuries to his face and body and reportedly had been involved in a physical altercation in the Pike area at about 5:30 p.m. Futterer was last seen heading southbound on foot on Highway 49 and was believed to possibly be en route to an address on Pine View Heights in Nevada City.
Futterer was spotted Wednesday at about 4:15 p.m. on the on-ramp to Highway 20 at Broad Street but was gone when Nevada City Police officers arrived, according to dispatch reports.
But another sighting about 15 minutes later ended in his arrest.
Futterer was seen hitchhiking at Highway 49 and West McKnight Way, and a Grass Valley Police officer located him and arrested him without incident, said Sgt. Jason Perry.
According to the initial advisory issued by the Sierra County Sheriff's Office, Futterer was facing charges of assault with a deadly weapon likely to produce great bodily injury, spousal abuse, battery, attempted false imprisonment and violating probation. He currently is being held in Sierra County jail.
Futterer had driven up to the Allegheny area with a woman and had gotten into a physical altercation with her as she was driving the vehicle, said Sierra County Sheriff John Evans.
"An argument escalated into a fight, and he hit her numerous times," Evans said, adding that the initial report described Futterer using a wire brush as a weapon. "He also bit her on the hand."
The woman, who was not identified, pulled over near Pike and demanded that Futterer get out of the vehicle. He allegedly refused, then grabbed the vehicle keys and got out of the vehicle.
"She apparently had a spare set of keys that he didn't know about and took off," Evans said.
Futterer reportedly was on probation in connection with a drunken driving arrest. Previous reported arrests included one in Nevada City in April 2012 in connection with the theft of a pickup truck from the city's yard and a 1998 conviction for illegal possession of a controlled substance.
To contact Staff Writer Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4229.
Trending In: Local News
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Gold panning at Bridgeport begins today
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Repairs to PG&E canal expected next week; NID says fix comes just in time
- California neighborhood flooded: Residents floated through the streets on rafts and paddleboards laughing
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business