Garbage truck overturns on Hwy 20
August 27, 2013
A big rig hauling compacted trash overturned on its side after taking a curve too rapidly on Highway 20 Sunday evening, according to the California Highway Patrol.
At 4:45 p.m., the truck was driving eastbound on Highway 20 when it entered a curve near the intersection of Lowell Hill Road and toppled, spilling its bales of compacted trash on the side of the road.
The unidentified driver was trapped in the cab of the semi-truck for a short period but was quickly extricated by emergency responders, said CHP Officer Justin Barnthouse.
The driver escaped serious injury despite the cab being severely damaged.
The highway remained open to one-way traffic while the site was processed by CHP and Caltrans.
The stretch of Highway 20 about 7 miles west of Interstate 80 features numerous curves and has been witness to numerous accidents, particularly in the winter when the surface is slick, Barnthouse said.
To contact Staff Writer Matthew Renda, email firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-477-4239.
Trending In: Local News
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance