Garbage truck overturns on Hwy 20
August 27, 2013
A big rig hauling compacted trash overturned on its side after taking a curve too rapidly on Highway 20 Sunday evening, according to the California Highway Patrol.
At 4:45 p.m., the truck was driving eastbound on Highway 20 when it entered a curve near the intersection of Lowell Hill Road and toppled, spilling its bales of compacted trash on the side of the road.
The unidentified driver was trapped in the cab of the semi-truck for a short period but was quickly extricated by emergency responders, said CHP Officer Justin Barnthouse.
The driver escaped serious injury despite the cab being severely damaged.
The highway remained open to one-way traffic while the site was processed by CHP and Caltrans.
The stretch of Highway 20 about 7 miles west of Interstate 80 features numerous curves and has been witness to numerous accidents, particularly in the winter when the surface is slick, Barnthouse said.
To contact Staff Writer Matthew Renda, email firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-477-4239.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws