For the gents: Grass Valley barbers keep the art of the straight razor alive
December 9, 2010
Gentleman’s Quarters Barber Shop in Grass Valley aims to bring back a dying art – the straight razor shave.
“I enjoy doing them, I know it’s a dying practice, but not with our clientele,” said Victoria Moretti. “I have one gentleman come in twice a week already.”
Those sorts of tradition are important at the 30-year-old barber shop, located at 110 W. Main St. in downtown Grass Valley.
The Gentleman’s Quarters is one of the only barber shops in the region offering a straight-razor shave, said proprietor Todd Frei.
Business has been good despite a down economy because of many longtime, loyal clients, Moretti said.
Shop hours start by appointment from 7 to 9 a.m. Tuesday through Friday, then walk-ins are welcome until 4 p.m. The shop is also open 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays.
Services range from $16 to $35, with senior discounts for those 55 and older on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For appointments or information, call (530) 273-5835.
Trending In: Local News
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death