Firefighters mop up 5-acre blaze near Chicago Park Powerhouse
October 24, 2013
Firefighters were able to contain a 5-acre blaze in a remote area outside Chicago Park Tuesday morning.
The Bear Fire was initially reported at about 4:30 a.m. near Chicago Park Powerhouse and Secret Town roads, said a dispatcher with the Emergency Command Center.
Because of the remote and rugged terrain, which is near the historic town sites of Red Dog and You Bet, it took time for firefighting units to locate the seat of the fire.
Firefighters from Cal Fire, Colfax, Placer Hills and Peardale-Chicago Park responded with seven engines, two water tenders, two hand crews, helicopter and one bulldozer.
The lack of wind and the cool early-morning temperatures helped control the vegetation fire, which was contained and was being mopped up by 10 a.m.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4229.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County fire: The aftermath (VIDEO)
- Carlee D’Arata sentenced to 10 years in prison in Nevada County death of Antonette Thevenin
- For Grass Valley “super senior,” helping children is a way of life
- Overnight closure planned over weekend for busy intersection in Roseville
- Internet for All bill, funding broadband projects like Spiral, signed into law