Few details in San Juan Ridge assault
July 18, 2013
Few details were available on the circumstances surrounding the discovery of an assault victim off Tyler-Foote Crossing Road, near North Columbia, Sunday morning.
A person called 911 at 6:30 a.m. to report finding the man lying on the ground on Old Mill and Jackass Flats roads.
North San Juan firefighters responded to find no one at the scene but the victim, face-down in a field.
"We don't know who called it in," said Engineer Christoffer Montelius.
According to Nevada County Sheriff Keith Royal, the 60-year-old man, from Colfax, sustained serious head trauma, possibly due to being struck in the head with a shovel.
"There were several shovels nearby, and his injuries were consistent with that," Royal said.
The victim said he had been assaulted by a man named Dave and had been dumped in the field where he was found. The man, who was not identified, reportedly was semi-conscious and did not provide much information.
He was transported via helicopter to Sutter Roseville Medical Center. His current condition is not known.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4229..
Trending In: Local News
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Nevada County donor pledges to match contributions to Hospitality House
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say