Fallen airman brought home
May 13, 2013
BEALE AIR FORCE BASE – At approximately 10:45 a.m. on May 10, a military contracted aircraft delivered the remains of Staff Sgt. Richard Dickson to Beale Air Force Base.
Dickson, 24, of Rancho Cordova, was killed along with three crew members April 27 when his MC-12 aircraft crashed in Afghanistan.
"We express our deepest sympathies to the families and friends of Sergeant Dickson," said Col. Phil Stewart, 9th Reconnaissance Wing commander. "Our thoughts and prayers are with them."
More than 1,000 airmen from Beale lined the streets of the procession route to render a salute.
"The military is a close-knit family and when a tragedy like this occurs, every member of the armed services feels it," Stewart said. "Sgt. Dickson was a veteran of several deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan and was one of our most experienced operators. He will be greatly missed."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws