Evan Strong named Grand Marshal of Fourth of July Parade
June 17, 2014
Paralympian gold medalist snowboarder Evan Strong has been named as Grand Marshal of the 2014 Fourth of July parade.
The chamber was involved in the April 1 "Welcome Home" celebration in honor of Evan's gold medal win and are proud of his accomplishment.
The parade theme "Nevada County — Explore the Outdoors" was selected by the Nevada City Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors in the hopes that Strong would be the Grand Marshal.
Strong, who resides in Nevada City, grew up in Maui, where he excelled at skateboarding. At 17, he lost his left leg as a result of a car accident.
Through the Challenged Athletes Foundation in La Jolla, and Adaptive Action Sports in Summit County, Colo., Strong was introduced to and inspired by hundreds of challenged athletes.
With the support of his family, he began training again and added snowboarding to his list of athletic endeavors — highlighted by his gold-medal performance at the 2014 Winter Paralympics in Sochi, Russia.
The parade is scheduled for 11 a.m. on Friday, July 4 in downtown Nevada City. It is expected to attract up to 80 entries and several thousand spectators.
Trending In: Local News
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Nevada County donor pledges to match contributions to Hospitality House
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance