Earth Day event to focus on water issues
April 9, 2014
Rocklin – The Placer County Water Agency, Sierra College and two major Sierra College student organizations are sponsoring a special forum on water issues. The forum will be hosted on Earth Day, April 22, at the Dietrich Theater on the Rocklin Campus.
The free forum, "Water Wars, Warriors and Climate Change," will begin at 4 p.m. and will cover a variety of water issues, including the Bay Delta Conservation Plan, water efficiency to reduce wastage and the ongoing drought. The Environmentally Concerned Organization of Students of Sierra College and the Associated Students of Sierra College are also sponsoring the event.
The community is encouraged to attend. The forum will include presentations and a question and answer period.
The forum's speakers will include:
– Paul Helliker, Deputy Director, California Department of Water Resources, Delta and Statewide Water Management
– Einar Maisch, Strategic Affairs Director, Placer County Water Agency
– Joe Medeiros, Professor Emeritus, Biological Sciences, Sierra College
– Terrance Davis, Drought Incident Commander, City of Sacramento
– Bill Mueller, Chief Executive Officer, Valley Vision
The panel will be moderated by Kristine Gilbert, a Sierra College professor and chair of the College's Environmental Studies & Sustainability Department.
One of the primary topics for the forum is the Bay Delta Conservation Plan. The state Department of Water Resources says the Bay Delta Conservation Plan will restore the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta ecosystem and secure water supplies for Southern California and the Central Valley.
But Northern California leaders, including cities and water agencies, have expressed concern that the BDCP will result in less water for Northern California once $25 billion has been spent on building 35-mile tunnels to divert water to the Central Valley and Southern California. Environmental groups have questioned whether the construction of the tunnels and the water diversion will harm the Delta ecosystem the BDCP says it will help.
Sierra College is located at 5000 Rocklin Road in Rocklin. Parking on campus is $3. Visitors may purchase permits at dispensers located throughout the parking lots.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County