Early proprietors of The Union | TheUnion.com

Early proprietors of The Union

Donna Reynolds
Special to The Union

In celebration of 150 years of continuous publication of The Union, the following chronology pertaining to the people at its helm, its homes and minor changes in flag (name) since its founding date of Oct. 28, 1864, have been restored to their proper places in Nevada County history.

Henry Meyer Blumenthal

Oct. 28, 1864, to March 2, 1865

Grass Valley Daily Union

Exchange Building (Corner Church and Main streets)

James William Emery Townsend

Recommended Stories For You

Oct. 28, 1864, to Nov. 5, 1864

Grass Valley Daily Union

Exchange Building (Corner Church and Main streets)

Henry C. Bennett

Nov. 19, 1864, to Jan. 27, 1865

Grass Valley Daily Union

Exchange Building (Corner Church and Main streets)

George Brown Shearer

Jan. 31, 1865, to April 2, 1865

Grass Valley Daily Union

Exchange Building (Corner Church and Main streets); Mill Street, opposite Smith & Ross' Drug Store

Notes: The Union's masthead changed to Blumenthal & Co. on Jan. 31, 1865, Solomon A. Shane and George Brown Shearer being the "& Co." Shearer and Shane purchased Blumenthal's interest on March 2, 1865. Paper relocated to Mill Street March 19 or 20, 1865

Solomon A. Shane

Jan. 31, 1865, to Feb. 6, 1866

Grass Valley Daily Union

Exchange Building (Corner Church and Main streets); Mill Street, opposite Smith & Ross' Drug Store; Mill Street, over hardware store of Johnston's & Co.

Notes: Paper relocated twice during his tenure, first on March 19 or 20, 1865, and next on Aug. 17, 1865.

William H. Miller

April 2, 1865, to July 17, 1866

Grass Valley Daily Union

Mill Street, opposite Smith & Ross' Drug Store; Mill Street, over hardware store of Johnston's & Co.

Benjamin Franklin Gywnn

May 14, 1866, to Oct. 22, 1866

Grass Valley Daily Union

Mill Street, over hardware store of Johnston's & Co.

William Shea Byrne

Oct. 22, 1866, to April 2, 1870

Grass Valley Daily Union

Mill Street, over hardware store of Johnston's & Co.

Notes: Purchased paper with Charles Henry Mitchell.

Charles Henry Mitchell

Oct. 22, 1866, to March 15, 1893

Grass Valley Daily Union

Mill Street, over hardware store of Johnston's & Co.; Corner of Mill and Main streets, upstairs.

Notes: Purchased paper with William Shea Byrne. Relocated to corner of Mill and Main, upstairs, on Oct. 4, 1871.

Alonzo Gaylord Compton

March 21, 1882, to March 27, 1887

Grass Valley Daily Union

Corner of Mill and Main streets, upstairs

Notes: Operated in partnership with Charles Henry Mitchell.

Willard P. Calkins

March 16, 1893, to June 11, 1893

Daily Morning Union

Corner of Mill and Main streets, upstairs

Notes: Purchased paper with James C. Tyrrell. Changed name of paper immediately upon acquirement, March 16, 1893.

James C. Tyrrell

March 16, 1893, to June 11, 1893

Daily Morning Union

Corner of Mill and Main streets, upstairs

Notes: First Nevada County native to become proprietor of The Union.

Go back to article