Couple arrested on meth charges following car crash with child inside
April 9, 2013
A couple involved in a single-vehicle rollover accident on Highway 20 Wednesday morning ended up in county jail after they were treated for their injuries.
California Highway Patrol Officer Cindy Morgan responded to the scene of the crash at about 6:18 a.m. on Highway 20 near Lowell Hill Road. Morgan said she found the vehicle — which reportedly had rolled several times — on its side on the shoulder of the road.
Bystanders were directing traffic, and a witness pointed out the couple, who were huddled under a blanket with their 3-year-old boy, Morgan said.
"They were shivering," she said, adding that she put them in her patrol car with the heater on so they could warm up.
The man, identified as Charles Edward Kempthorne, 32, of Redwood City, had a head injury, and an ambulance was called.
Kempthorne was determined to be under the influence of a controlled substance, Morgan said. He later was flown to Sutter Roseville Medical Center, where he was treated and released.
The woman, identified as Christina Louise Beltran, 36, allegedly had a pouch on her that she was trying to hide. It was determined to be methamphetamine, Morgan said.
Beltran was taken to Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital, treated, and released.
She was then booked into county jail on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance and child endangerment, and released on $35,000 bail.
Kempthorne was found to have a felony no-bail warrant, and allegedly had crossed state lines without permission by driving to Reno to get married.
He was arrested on suspicion of committing a felony while on bail, driving under the influence, being under the influence of a controlled substance and child endangerment.
He was being held in lieu of $152,404 bail.
The couple's child was released to a grandparent, Morgan said.
To contact Staff Writer Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4229.
Trending In: Local News
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Gold panning at Bridgeport begins today
- Repairs to PG&E canal expected next week; NID says fix comes just in time
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- California neighborhood flooded: Residents floated through the streets on rafts and paddleboards laughing
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public