Counting cards: Strong turnout for youth cribbage tournament
February 27, 2013
A total of 56 young cribbage players from all over Northern California came to play in the longest-running and best attended youth cribbage tournament in the world.
When the last pegs were put in the winning holes at the 20th annual Sierra Youth Cribbage Tournament Feb. 23, Chicago Park School's Micheal Schrieber, 13, and Nathan Nunes, 11, were crowned champions in their age divisions.
Other locals who finished in the top four included Anthony Vierra, 10, and Sonora Slater, 10, from Clear Creek School, and Eliza McGinnis, 10, from Chicago Park.
In the afternoon consolation event, Tim Schrieber, 17, from Nevada Union High School took first place in the older division, while Sam Pare, 10, from Chicago Park won the younger age group contest.
Trending In: Local News
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum