Busy weekend for Nevada County firefighters | TheUnion.com

Busy weekend for Nevada County firefighters

A CHP helicopter lifts an injured hiker out of a steep canyon near Humbug Trail Saturday. The hiker was then transferred to an ambulance and taken to Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital.

It was an extremely busy weekend for North San Juan firefighters, who were called out to two serious incidents — one a fatality — within hours of each other Friday, as well as a rescue Saturday.

At about 3:30 p.m., Friday, firefighters from North San Juan and Nevada County Consolidated were called to the South Yuba River by the 49er bridge for a river rescue.

It was not clear whether the victim, described as a middle-aged man, slipped and fell in the water or went in of his own accord, Consolidated Fire Battalion Chief Jim Turner said Friday.

The first unit at the scene located a man floating face down 400 yards downstream from the 49er bridge, and CPR was initiated, said North San Juan Fire spokesman Christoffer Montelius.

A CHP helicopter lifted the man to Sierra Nevada paramedics on the bridge, where CPR was continued, but the man was later declared dead at scene.

The man's identity had not been released by the coroner as of Sunday.

Recommended Stories For You

Within 20 minutes of being released from the scene of the drowning, North San Juan firefighters were called out for a vehicle accident on Tyler Foote and Old Mill roads, Montelius said. The accident was t-bone collision, with one driver being flown by air ambulance to a trauma center with serious injuries, including a reported arm fracture.

The other driver, Nicholas Jordan Farren-Philpott, 21, was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, causing great bodily injury. He was booked into jail and released on $75,000 bail.

On Saturday afternoon, right after North San Juan firefighters finished their annual three-mile, 45-pound pack test, they were called out for a trail rescue, Montelius said.

Firefighters hiked two miles before they located the injured hiker down on Humbug Trail with a reported fractured ankle.

The hiker was found 50 feet below the trail; hiking the patient out would have been risky due to the terrain, so a CHP helicopter from Napa helped to lift the patient out of the steep canyon, Montelius said.

The patient was then transferred to an ambulance and transported to Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital.

To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email lkellar@theunion.com or call (530) 477-4229.

Go back to article