Blacksmiths display their craft at fairgrounds
May 19, 2017
KNOW & GO:
Who: California Blacksmithing Association
Where: Nevada County Fairgrounds
What: Hard Rock Hammer-in
When: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. artist blacksmith demonstrations; Auction at 7 p.m.
Hammers were swinging, metal was clinking, and the heat from various forges drew sweat from those muscling away at their craft Friday at the Nevada County Fairgrounds where various area blacksmiths converged to showcase their talents and help keep the art of blacksmithing alive.
Blacksmithing begain in the time of the Iron and Bronze Ages and has since evolved with the changning technologies that have allowed blacksmiths to forge harder metals. Different groups could be seen working collaboratively on a demonstration pieces that included a rose on a stem, and an electric guitar made entirely out of forging tools.
Friday's California Blacksmithing Association sponsored event, which continues today at the Nevada County Fairgrounds, is an opportunity to enlighten oneself about the world of blacksmithing.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Local News
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance