2 arrested after reportedly fleeing from Grass Valley cops
March 5, 2014
Two men ended up in county jail after reportedly trying to flee from Grass Valley Police officers Tuesday afternoon.
An officer on patrol at Doris Drive and North Church Street saw a man identified as Michael Gordon, 33, driving, and recognized him as having a warrant, said Lt. Alex Gammelgard.
As he was making contact with the vehicle, the passenger in the front seat was acting in a furtive manner and refused to show his hands when ordered to do so, Gammelgard said.
"It appeared he was trying to destroy contraband by eating it," Gammelgard said, adding that the substance was suspected to be methamphetamine.
The officer asked the man to exit the vehicle and a scuffle reportedly ensued. The suspect then tried to flee.
The man, identified as Christopher Bancroft, was apprehended a few hundred yards away, but the officer reportedly sustained a minor injury in the process.
Meanwhile, Gordon also fled on foot, but witnesses were reportedly able to lead officers to where he was last seen. He eventually was arrested without further incident on Linden Street.
Gordon was booked into county jail on suspicion of obstructing a peace officer, driving on a suspended license and two outstanding warrants. He was being held in lieu of $11,927 bail.
Bancroft was taken to Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital to be medically cleared before being booked on charges of resisting arrest, assault on a peace officer, violating probation and possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia, Gammelgard said.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call (530) 477-4229.
Trending In: Local News
- Humpty Dumpty’s Shirley Tellam to retire after six decades of service
- Strawberry Music Festival celebrates its fourth year in Nevada County
- Honoring Memorial Day in Nevada County
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman tries to euthanize dog that isn’t hers
- Hilary Hodge: My coming out story