Live updates of Boston Marathon explosions (VIDEO) |

Live updates of Boston Marathon explosions (VIDEO)

The Union staff

Editor's note: This story is a live-blog compilation of various updates as they are made. For a recent comprehensive story on the Boston Marathon explosions, click HERE.

UPDATE 6:33 p.m. — With law enforcement agencies deferring further updates until Tuesday morning, The Union is going to cease its live blogging of bombing updates for the evening. Other media outlets, such as the New York Times and the Boston Globe are expected to continue their reports until The Union resumes coverage Tuesday morning.

UPDATE 6:08 p.m. — Reports indicate about 17 people remain in critical condition at Boston area hospitals.

UPDATE 6:03 p.m. — Multiple outlets are reporting several amputations as a result of the terror attack.

UPDATE 6:02 p.m. — Law enforcement officials will host another press conference Tuesday morning with updates.

UPDATE 6:00 p.m. — Davis stopped short of saying he found all the explosive devices involved in the incident. "We are not at ease," he said.

Recommended Stories For You

UPDATE 5:55 p.m. — Davis said there is no suspect in custody and would not comment further.

UPDATE 5:54 p.m. — Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis just reported the death toll at three, one more than has been reported throughout the day.

UPDATE 4:58 p.m. — Eight hospitals report that they are treating at least 124 people. Of those, at least 15 are in critical condition, the Associated Press reports. UPDATE 4:49 p.m. — At least five Nevada County residents who were at the Boston Marathon have reported that they are safe. Their names are Michelle and Nelson Hughes, Linda Hegle, Jeff Boutte and Jim Pelton.

Also, Boston Globe reports at least 120 injured. Multiple media outlets are reporting that an 8-year-old child is among the deceased victims of the bombing.

UPDATE 4:45 p.m. — CBS News senior correspondent John Miller reports that a Saudi national is being questioned by authorities. Miller said that the man was seen "acting suspiciously" running from the explosion and a civilian chased him down and tackled him. He was turned over to Boston Police and is being questioned by FBI. He is being cooperative and denies any involvement.

UPDATE 3:13 p.m. — "We will get to the bottom of this. We will find out who did this. We will find out why they did this," said President Barack Obama during a national briefing. He vowed that those responsible "will feel the full weight of justice."

UPDATE 3:12 p.m. — "We still do not know who did this or why," President Barack Obama during a press conference.

UPDATE 3:06 p.m. — U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, of the California delegation said, "It is a terrorist incident … It could be foreign, it could be home grown.," according to Jeff Zeleny, a ABC news correspondent.

UPDATE: 3:01 p.m. — Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis denies reports that a suspect is custody. Said no suspects identified. Also noted that their is a high police presence at area hospitals and that a 15-block radius has been cordoned off from the finish line blast sites. The area is being treated as a crime scene.

UPDATE 2:41 p.m. — New York Post is reporting that authorities have identified a Saudi national as a suspect and that person is currently being guarded in an area hospital. The suspect is supposedly being treated for shrapnel wounds. President Obama reported to brief the nation 6 p.m. eastern time (3 p.m. in California).

UPDATE 2:35 p.m. — JFK Library incident appears to be “fire related,” tweets Boston Police Department. "Fire in building is out, appears to have started in the mechanical room of new building. All staff and visitors are accounted for and safe," reads JFK Library's own tweet. "Any tie to Boston Marathon explosions is pure speculation." Boston Globe update indicates that nearly 90 people are being treated for injuries as a result of other two incidents near the finish line of the marathon.

UPDATE 2:31 p.m. — The Secret Service says it has expanded its security perimeter at the White House following the explosions at the Boston Marathon, the Associated Press reported.

Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan says the measure was taken "out of an abundance of caution." He says it is not unusual to expand or contract the security perimeters.

Shortly after the explosions Monday, Secret Service shut down Pennsylvania Avenue outside the White House, cordoning off the area with yellow police tape. Several Secret Service patrol cars also blocked off the entry points to the road.

UPDATE 2:30 p.m. — Jackie Bruno, a reporter for the New England Cable Network tweeted the following: ?I saw people's legs blown off. Horrific. Two explosions. Runners were coming in and saw unspeakable horror."

UPDATE 2:17 p.m. — A law enforcement official says cellphone service has been shut down in the Boston area to prevent any potential remote detonations of explosives, the Associated Press reported. Authorities have not identified what caused the explosives that erupted at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

UPDATE 2:16 p.m. — Boston hospitals are reporting more than 100 people being treated after Marathon explosions.

UPDATE 1:58 p.m. — Boston Police Commissioner said a third bomb explosion occurred at the JFK Library, the Associated Press reported. No injuries are reported at the site.

UPDATE 1:52 p.m. — Police in New York City and London are stepping up security following explosions at the Boston Marathon, the Associated Press reported. Chief NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said critical response teams are deployed around the city until more about the explosion is learned. Officials are stepping up security at hotels and other prominent locations. British police also say they are reviewing security plans for Sunday's London Marathon. It's the next major international marathon. A London Metropolitan Police spokesman says police are working with marathon officials to review security plans.

UPDATE 1:48 p.m. — The Boston Globe just Tweeted an update indicating that the injury toll has climbed to 64 people, with two confirmed deaths.

UPDATE 1:32 p.m. — The Boston Police Department reports two people have died and at least 23 were injured in two explosions near the Boston Marathon finish line, the Associated Press reported. The Boston Marathon says that bombs caused the two explosions heard at the finish line and that organizers were working with authorities to determine what happened, the Associated Press reported Monday afternoon.

Two more bomb devices are currently being dismantled on scene, a United States Intelligence Officer told the Wall Street Journal, the newspaper reported over its twitter account.

POSTED 12:39 p.m. — BOSTON (AP) — Two explosions shattered the finish of the Boston Marathon on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry away the injured while stragglers in the 26.2-mile race were rerouted away from the smoking site.

Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.

"There are a lot of people down," said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.

Neither race officials nor public officials could immediately estimate the number or degree of injuries.

About three hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later.

Smoke rose from the blasts, fluttering through the national flags lining the route of the world's oldest and most prestigious marathon. TV helicopter footage showed blood staining the pavement in the popular shopping and tourist area known as the Back Bay.

"There are people who are really, really bloody," said Laura McLean, a runner from Toronto, who was in the medical tent being treated for dehydration when she was pulled out to make room for victims of the explosions. "They were pulling them into the medical tent."

Cherie Falgoust was waiting for her husband, who was running the race.

"I was expecting my husband any minute," she said. "I don't know what this building is … it just blew. Just a big bomb, a loud boom, and then glass everywhere. Something hit my head. I don't know what it was. I just ducked."

Runners who had not finished the race were diverted straight down Commonwealth Avenue and into a family meeting area, according to an emergency plan that had been in place.

Go back to article