Nevada County to entice movie business
December 14, 2012
Hollywood is about 400 miles away from the center of Nevada County as a crow flies.
Nevertheless, the Nevada County Board of Supervisors is prepared to pass a resolution meant to attract the film business to the scenic jurisdiction during its regular meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 11.
In 1984, The California Film Commission was created in an attempt to encourage motion picture, television and commercial filming in the state, according to supporting documents attached to the supervisors agenda.
Out of that commission, the nonproftt Northeast Califonria Counties Film Commission was recently established to promote locations throughout Butte, Nevada, Plumas, Sierra, Sutter and Yuba Counties as ideal for filming.
The commission has been tasked with vetting potential filming locations, responding efficiently to production requests, preparing themselves to troubleshoot potential difficulties for producers while acting as a liaison to public agencies for permitting purposes, the document states.
Despite the historic buildings in the area that present an ideal location for various films, the county has not played prominently in any high-profile film schedules in recent years.
Recommended Stories For You
In 2006, the Hallmark Channel selected Nevada City as the setting for the original movie "The Christmas Card."
Nevada County officials announced the temporary closure of offices from Monday, December 24 through Tuesday, January 1, in observance of the December holidays and previously announced furlough days.
Closures will not impact access to public-safety and other 24-hour operations.
The following Departments will be open during designated furlough days: departments of District Attorney, Sheriff, Probation, Public Works, Registrar of Voters, Clerk-Recorder, and Public Defender.
The county encourages residents to plan ahead for needed services and to visit http://www.mynevadacounty.com for on-line services and for additional information on county departments.
To contact Staff Writer Matthew Renda, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (530) 477-4239.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Elections
- Retired Nevada County firefighter takes Consolidated board spot
- Many offices up for grabs in Nevada County 2014 election
- Nevada City homeless warming shelter moves to Grass Valley
- ‘Not my president:’ Protesters line both sides of Broad Street to protest Trump election
- Tice-Raskin takes lead in judge race
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- Nevada County staff recommend no Dollar General at Rough and Ready Highway site
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house