Grass Valley council candidate forum Tuesday
October 10, 2012
With just two incumbents defending three Grass Valley City Council seats up for grabs in the November election, and four contenders vying to be among the top vote-getters, stakes are high as the candidates prepare for a forum Tuesday.
The forum, hosted by the League of Women Voters, will take place 7 to 9 p.m. at the Grass Valley City Council Chambers, located at 125 East Main St. in Grass Valley.
The event is free to the public.
"It is an important forum because it affects people who live here. Our vote counts in this race," said Ruth Schwartz, the League's voter service chairwoman. "It's not only important to the residents of Grass Valley, but the whole county because our town is the nucleus of the county."
“It’s not only important to the residents of Grass Valley, but the whole county because our town is the nucleus of the county.”
After a series of forums in advance of the June primary, Tuesday's gathering will be the only forum the League will host for the 2012 November election.
All six candidates are expected to appear, including Mayor Janet Arbuckle, Jim Firth, Justin Gross, Howard Levine, incumbent Lisa Swarthout, and Patricia Tureaud.
Polly Bacich will moderate the forum for the league, with questions alternating from attendees and members of the local media, including The Union.
To submit topics for The Union to consider among its questions for the candidates, please visit The Union's Facebook page or email email@example.com. To contact Staff Writer Christopher Rosacker, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (530) 477-4236.
Trending In: Elections
- Measure B $47 million school bond passage looks losing razor-thin race
- Women Mobilize in Nevada County Following the March
- Nevada County District Attorney defends two-term record against challenger
- State of Jefferson initiative fails to qualify for ballot in Nevada County
- Yuba Lit to focus on values threatened under Trump
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed