County finalizes State Senate election results
January 15, 2013
The Nevada County Elections Office released its final results Monday morning in the Jan. 8 special election for the District 4 Senate seat.
Jim Nielsen, R-Gerber, won the seat and was sworn in to office later in the week after handily defeating Democrat Mickey Harrington.
The district encompasses all or a portion of 12 counties, including a portion of Nevada County.
The Nevada County Election Office's final results indicate 17,589 of the 50,887 eligible registered voters participated in the election for a turnout of 35 percent, according to the final results issued by the county elections office. Of the approximately 17,500 voters in the election, about 12,500 voted by mail. The remaining 5,000 voters either cast ballots at the polls or voted from "mail ballot precincts," which are voting precincts that features fewer than 250 voters, said Assistant Registrar of Voters Gail Smith.
In Nevada County, Nielsen received 10,555 votes (60 percent) compared to Harrington's 6,999 votes (40 percent).
The disparity was greater throughout the district, where Nielsen garnered 87,738 votes (67 percent) while Harrington managed 43,903 (33 percent).
Nielsen will serve a two-year term as he replaced U.S. Congressman Doug LaMalfa, R-Richvale, who vacated the seat to successfully run for the U.S. Congress.
Nielsen will represent the citizens of the Fourth Senate District, which includes Butte, Colusa, Del Norte, Glenn, Nevada, Placer, Shasta, Siskiyou, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity and Yuba counties.
To contact Staff Writer Matthew Renda, email email@example.com or call (530) 477-4239.
Trending In: Elections
- Penn Valley attorney final entry in Nevada County judge race
- Valerie Moberg becomes second candidate to vie for a seat on Nevada City Council
- Incumbents struggle in Nevada County school board races
- KVMR to broadcast LaMalfa’s Oroville town hall meeting
- Logue to Congress: Don’t take jobs away from California military bases
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says