County finalizes State Senate election results
January 15, 2013
The Nevada County Elections Office released its final results Monday morning in the Jan. 8 special election for the District 4 Senate seat.
Jim Nielsen, R-Gerber, won the seat and was sworn in to office later in the week after handily defeating Democrat Mickey Harrington.
The district encompasses all or a portion of 12 counties, including a portion of Nevada County.
The Nevada County Election Office's final results indicate 17,589 of the 50,887 eligible registered voters participated in the election for a turnout of 35 percent, according to the final results issued by the county elections office. Of the approximately 17,500 voters in the election, about 12,500 voted by mail. The remaining 5,000 voters either cast ballots at the polls or voted from "mail ballot precincts," which are voting precincts that features fewer than 250 voters, said Assistant Registrar of Voters Gail Smith.
In Nevada County, Nielsen received 10,555 votes (60 percent) compared to Harrington's 6,999 votes (40 percent).
The disparity was greater throughout the district, where Nielsen garnered 87,738 votes (67 percent) while Harrington managed 43,903 (33 percent).
Nielsen will serve a two-year term as he replaced U.S. Congressman Doug LaMalfa, R-Richvale, who vacated the seat to successfully run for the U.S. Congress.
Nielsen will represent the citizens of the Fourth Senate District, which includes Butte, Colusa, Del Norte, Glenn, Nevada, Placer, Shasta, Siskiyou, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity and Yuba counties.
To contact Staff Writer Matthew Renda, email email@example.com or call (530) 477-4239.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Elections
- Dan Miller announces bid for re-election to Nevada County Board of Supervisors
- U.S. Rep. Doug LaMalfa calls for unity after shooting
- Nevada City OKs homeless-regulating camping ordinance
- Nevada County Election: School board candidate profiles
- Nevada County Supervisor Heidi Hall to speak at first Tuesday forum
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial