Suspect arrested for December attempted robbery of taxi driver
March 31, 2014
John Lemisio Sooto, 31, of Nevada City, was arrested Friday morning as a suspect in the December 2013 attempted robbery of a taxi driver.
Sgt. Clint Bates told The Union that Grass Valley police received information that Sooto was in an apartment unit in the West Berryhill area. After police contacted the apartment owner, they verified that Sooto was inside the apartment and took him into custody.
"It was just a simple warrant arrest," Bates said. "He had a felony warrant and they heard where he might be and they went and knocked on the door, confirmed that he was inside, and arrested him without incident."
On December 29, 2013, police received a 911 call from a male cab driver in the area of Dorsey Drive and East Maine Street. The cab driver reportedly told law enforcement that he received a phone call from someone who wanted a taxi fare. When the driver arrived to pick up the person who called for the fare, a man approached the passenger side of his cab, opened the door and demanded his money.
"He demanded the money and he threatened to show up at the victim's house if he did not pay," Bates said.
In fear for his safety, the cab driver threw the vehicle into reverse, left the area and contacted law enforcement. The cab driver told police the man was unarmed.
During the police investigation, the victim identified Sooto in a photo line-up as the man he said tried to rob him. The Grass Valley Police Department filed a warrant with the district attorney's office, and the DA issued a warrant for Sooto's arrest.
"We had actively been looking for him during that time," Bates said. "But we wanted the DA to review before we could actually pick him up."
Sooto,a tree-service employee, is being held on a $75,000 bail.
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man answers door naked, stating claim to be there
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Narcotics detectives arrest 11 in Grass Valley
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person on bench found to be napping
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum