Peeler sentenced to nearly 39 years
May 19, 2014
A Nevada County man was sentenced Friday to 38 years and eight months in state prison in a case where he pointed a gun at a Sacramento County Sheriff's deputy before trying to flee.
A Sacramento jury convicted Brice Peeler of assault with a firearm, felony evasion and being a felon in possession of a firearm for a September 2012 arrest that stemmed from an earlier reported assault with a gun in Penn Valley.
The jury also found true allegations that Peeler had used a firearm during the commission of the assault, and that he had several prior convictions, said Sacramento County District Attorney's Office spokeswoman Shelly Orio.
Law enforcement had been on the lookout for Peeler, who had been described as "armed and dangerous" after an incident in which a Penn Valley man was accosted by Peeler, who appeared to be high on methamphetamine and who pulled a gun. Peeler allegedly pointed the gun at the man's head, then fled in a vehicle.
The Sacramento County Sheriff's Office was called in to assist after information was received that Peeler might be in the Citrus Heights area, and subsequently located him in a van with two women.
Several undercover units began to tail him, but Peeler realized he was being followed and a high-speed chase ensued.
At the end of the pursuit, Peeler exited his car holding a loaded 9-millimeter semi-automatic handgun. As Sacramento County Sheriff's Sgt. Gregory Coauette closed in, Peeler ran past Coauette's SUV and pointed the handgun at his head.
Before Coauette and his partner could react, Peeler jumped a fence and dumped the handgun in a bush. He eventually was apprehended after he forced his way into an adjacent house.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call (530) 477-4229.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Chicken booked in Nevada City
- Grass Valley police: Burglary suspect broke window, then chased another man down the street
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller complains of harassment from former manure buyer
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- CHP: Fire near Greenhorn Campground leads to evacuations