Nevada County Sheriff’s Office investigating possible homicide
July 8, 2014
Nevada County Sheriff's detectives are investigating a possible homicide in Penn Valley Monday morning.
A deputy responded to a call at about 1 a.m. of gunshots and yelling in the 10000 block of Goodenough Court, off Chances R Road. The caller reported hearing three shots, and other people at the house heard yelling, according to dispatch reports.
Nothing was located and it was quiet when the deputy arrived, said Sheriff Keith Royal.
"A short time later, the homeowner called back to request an area check of the property," Royal said.
During the check, in a "fairly large" greenhouse behind the property that appeared to contain marijuana plants, deputies located a man in his 20s lying on the ground.
"He had sustained apparent gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene," Royal said.
As of Monday night, the victim's identity had not been released, pending notification of his next of kin.
Detectives from the Major Crimes Unit are investigating the death as a homicide, with assistance from criminalists from the state Department of Justice, Royal said.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4229.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- No progress reported in former Nevada County resident’s murder investigation
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- Carjacking suspect James Jerold Zinola-Young pleads no contest
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man seeks bus ticket to Seattle
- No suspects identified in Camptonville shooting
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crime Roundup: Penn Valley murder; walking stick assault; ATV chase
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- THE UNION NOW: Live streaming from the newsroom