Nevada County Sheriff’s Office investigating possible homicide
July 8, 2014
Nevada County Sheriff's detectives are investigating a possible homicide in Penn Valley Monday morning.
A deputy responded to a call at about 1 a.m. of gunshots and yelling in the 10000 block of Goodenough Court, off Chances R Road. The caller reported hearing three shots, and other people at the house heard yelling, according to dispatch reports.
Nothing was located and it was quiet when the deputy arrived, said Sheriff Keith Royal.
"A short time later, the homeowner called back to request an area check of the property," Royal said.
During the check, in a "fairly large" greenhouse behind the property that appeared to contain marijuana plants, deputies located a man in his 20s lying on the ground.
"He had sustained apparent gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene," Royal said.
As of Monday night, the victim's identity had not been released, pending notification of his next of kin.
Detectives from the Major Crimes Unit are investigating the death as a homicide, with assistance from criminalists from the state Department of Justice, Royal said.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4229.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller complains of harassment from former manure buyer
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- No progress reported in former Nevada County resident’s murder investigation
- Carjacking suspect James Jerold Zinola-Young pleads no contest
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County