Homicide victim identified
July 9, 2014
The man found shot to death in Penn Valley Monday morning has been identified as Isaac Zafft, 27, a Minnesota resident reportedly visiting the area.
Zafft was located during an area check of the property by Nevada County sheriff's deputies after they had been called out for an earlier report of gunfire and yelling. A deputy responded to a call at about 1 a.m. in the 10000 block of Goodenough Court, off Chances R Road, but nothing was located. A short time later, the homeowner called back to request an area check of the property.
Zafft was found lying on the ground in a "fairly large" greenhouse behind the property that reportedly contained marijuana plants and was pronounced dead at the scene.
An autopsy was conducted Tuesday morning, Sheriff Keith Royal said.
"He was shot several times, in the upper, middle and lower part of his body," Royal said.
Royal said the homicide investigation was ongoing, adding, "We're doing lots of interviews."
Zafft's suspicious death comes just a day after a man on Cedarsong Road was the victim of a home invasion robbery, in which his assailants made off with an undisclosed amount of marijuana.
Three men wearing masks reportedly entered the man's home Sunday morning, tying him up and beating him before taking the man's car and leaving. The victim said at least one of the men was armed, telling police that he was pistol-whipped.
The three suspects reportedly broke all of the phones and computers in the house before taking off with the man's car, multiple tote bags of marijuana and a large amount of cash.
The vehicle later was recovered off Birchville Road, according to dispatch reports.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4229.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Chicken booked in Nevada City
- Grass Valley police: Burglary suspect broke window, then chased another man down the street
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller complains of harassment from former manure buyer
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- CHP: Fire near Greenhorn Campground leads to evacuations