Fourth suspect arrested in home invasion
May 2, 2014
An 18-year-old man being sought in connection with a brutal home invasion robbery was arrested Thursday and is set for arraignment today.
Grass Valley Police officers had obtained a $300,000 arrest warrant last week for Billy Mecredy, the fourth suspect to have been identified in the Dec. 6, 2013, robbery, in which a 73-year-old man was beaten and tied up.
Detectives learned Mecredy was possibly hiding out at a residence in Carmichael, and located him there Thursday morning with the assistance of Sacramento County Sheriff's deputies, said Grass Valley Police Sgt. Steve Johnson.
Mecredy was arrested without incident, Johnson said, adding that the warrant was for robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, and vehicle theft, with enhancements for use of a deadly weapon during a felony and causing great bodily injury of an elderly victim.
The other three defendants in the case all were in Nevada County Superior Court Thursday afternoon.
Elliott Roberts, 17 — who reportedly was the primary aggressor — was arrested less than a week after the attack on suspicion of kidnapping, robbery, battery with serious bodily injury, residential burglary, theft from an elder and false imprisonment of an elder, as well as violating probation.
He initially was booked as a juvenile, but a decision was made Tuesday after a competency hearing to try him as an adult.
Tyler Leal, 17, was arrested Feb. 13 and booked as a juvenile on suspicion of robbery, criminal conspiracy and possession of stolen property; a felony complaint charging him as an adult was filed Feb. 28.
Devin Thomas, 18, subsequently turned himself in.
Leal and Thomas have pleaded not guilty to home invasion robbery, first-degree residential burglary with a person present, criminal conspiracy and possession of stolen property.
A motion to consolidate all of the defendants' cases will be heard May 15.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4229.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: 40 text messages cause for concern
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man curious about how long pepper spray burns
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller wants vehicle shooed away
- Affidavit: Nevada County homicide victim Kenneth Pestana found with deep neck lacerations
- Nevada County authorities arrest 2 on weapons charges
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Heat wave comes to Nevada County with the first day of summer (Video)
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 18 out of 20 counts in child sex case
- Mindy Oberne: The real deal on SB 562, the single-payer legislation
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)