Fatal beating on Banner Mountain remains under investigation
April 16, 2014
Nevada County Sheriff's detectives, with the help of the state Department of Justice, worked into the night Tuesday investigating the fatal beating of a Nevada City man that occurred the night before.
Deputies were dispatched to a residence in the 11000 block of Forest View Drive, off Banner Lava Cap Road, at about 11:15 p.m. Monday in response to a call about an assault with several involved, said Sheriff Keith Royal.
According to dispatch reports, a woman reported that her son was being beaten by three people. Additional callers reported two men attacking the victim and then leaving on foot.
Deputies arrived to find a man in his 40s lying in the driveway, Royal said.
"He obviously had been assaulted," Royal said, declining to provide further details.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The victim had not been officially identified as of press time; his autopsy was scheduled for Wednesday.
Tuesday afternoon, the residence on Banner Mountain and the surrounding streets, had been sealed off to allow investigators to recover evidence.
Two other locations also were being searched Tuesday, but Royal would not state what the connection might be to the homicide.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4229.
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports neighbor draining water on her property, which will cause ‘real problems on Monday when the storm hits’
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Peeping Tom and a pinkie swear
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man gets lost on way to bed after power goes out
- Nevada County Police Blotter: People licking their lips, hurting children