Fatal beating on Banner Mountain remains under investigation
April 16, 2014
Nevada County Sheriff's detectives, with the help of the state Department of Justice, worked into the night Tuesday investigating the fatal beating of a Nevada City man that occurred the night before.
Deputies were dispatched to a residence in the 11000 block of Forest View Drive, off Banner Lava Cap Road, at about 11:15 p.m. Monday in response to a call about an assault with several involved, said Sheriff Keith Royal.
According to dispatch reports, a woman reported that her son was being beaten by three people. Additional callers reported two men attacking the victim and then leaving on foot.
Deputies arrived to find a man in his 40s lying in the driveway, Royal said.
"He obviously had been assaulted," Royal said, declining to provide further details.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The victim had not been officially identified as of press time; his autopsy was scheduled for Wednesday.
Tuesday afternoon, the residence on Banner Mountain and the surrounding streets, had been sealed off to allow investigators to recover evidence.
Two other locations also were being searched Tuesday, but Royal would not state what the connection might be to the homicide.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4229.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Chicken booked in Nevada City
- Grass Valley police: Burglary suspect broke window, then chased another man down the street
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller complains of harassment from former manure buyer
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- CHP: Fire near Greenhorn Campground leads to evacuations