Family, friends mourn Nevada County murder victim Brian Spalding
April 29, 2014
Relatives, friends and even passing acquaintances packed the Nevada City Elks Lodge Saturday afternoon to pay tribute to Brian Spalding.
Spalding, 41, was murdered in front of the home he shared with his family on Banner Mountain April 14.
The crowd that gathered Saturday spoke of a man whose life revolved around his daughter, Ellie, a kind and easy-going guy who loved hanging out at the river. Even those who barely knew Spalding, only through his work at Nevada City Gas, spoke of the deep and abiding impression of serenity he imparted.
As the two-week mark of his brutal murder approached, Nevada County Sheriff Keith Royal said the investigation is continuing.
"We're working with the state Department of Justice to process some evidence that has been recovered for DNA," Royal said Friday.
"We need to get that back from the crime lab."
The night of April 14, Spalding reportedly was on his way back to his residence on the 11000 block of Forest View Drive at about 11:15 p.m. after a long-standing poker night. He reportedly was assaulted by two or three men who then fled on foot.
Nevada County Sheriff's deputies arrived to find him lying in the driveway; Spalding had sustained numerous injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.
The official cause of death has been ruled to be multiple blunt-force trauma, but he had been shot, as well.
A memorial fund has been set up to help pay Spalding's funeral expenses at http://www.gofundme.com/8jo62s.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: 40 text messages cause for concern
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller wants vehicle shooed away
- Affidavit: Nevada County homicide victim Kenneth Pestana found with deep neck lacerations
- Nevada County authorities arrest 2 on weapons charges
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man curious about how long pepper spray burns
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)
- Marijuana grow murder case in Nevada County judge’s hands