Deputy arrested for unlawful sex
July 12, 2014
Placer County Sheriff's Deputy Ken Skogen was arrested Thursday by investigators from the Placer County District Attorney's Office, according to a press release.
Skogen has been charged with four felony counts stemming from a 2011 relationship the deputy had with a 17-year-old victim who, at the time, was a volunteer with the Placer County Sheriff's Department.
The felony complaint filed against Skogen in the Placer County Superior Court alleges one count of unlawful sex with a minor, one count of oral copulation with a minor, one count of meeting with a minor for the purposes of having sex and one count of communicating with a minor for the purposes of engaging in lewd or lascivious behavior.
The investigation began after the Placer County Sheriff's Office received information from another deputy that Skogen had allegedly been involved in an inappropriate relationship with the victim.
Given that Deputy Skogen, the reporting deputy, and the victim all worked at the Sheriff's Office at the time of the alleged offense, the Placer County Sheriff's Office requested that the District Attorney's Office conduct an investigation into allegations made against Skogen. That investigation led to the charges filed in the criminal complaint.
Skogen's bail was set at $100,000, which he posted. He is scheduled for arraignment on the charges on Aug. 4.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- No progress reported in former Nevada County resident’s murder investigation
- Carjacking suspect James Jerold Zinola-Young pleads no contest
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man seeks bus ticket to Seattle
- No suspects identified in Camptonville shooting
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crime Roundup: Penn Valley murder; walking stick assault; ATV chase
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- THE UNION NOW: Live streaming from the newsroom