Couple facing multiple animal cruelty charges
April 25, 2014
A judge held a local couple to answer on animal cruelty charges after a preliminary hearing into the evidence against them Tuesday.
One count, of failure to care for an animal, was dismissed against Sara Gore. But she still will face five cruelty counts after a number of animals were seized from the Gores' Auburn Road property in September 2013.
Sufficient evidence also was found to hold Charles "Tim" Gore to answer on two felony counts of animal cruelty.
Sara and Charles Gore will be arraigned on those charges on April 25.
Daughter Evelyn Gore faces one misdemeanor count of failure to care for an animal and is set to appear next in court on April 28.
Each count relates to a specific animal, with four horses and a mule reportedly sustaining sufficient abuse or neglect to warrant charges.
A complaint about a dead goat reportedly prompted the investigation that ended with eight animals being seized. A Nevada County Sheriff's Office Animal Control officer had responded to the report of a goat carcass beginning to stink at the Gore residence. The Gores were contacted and agreed to call a company that specializes in the removal of dead animals. When the person from the removal company arrived at the property, they reportedly also requested the removal of a dead horse.
Animal Control subsequently was called for a welfare check on a very emaciated horse still on the property. The officer and a vet reportedly tried to load the horse into a trailer, but it balked repeatedly and eventually dropped, Officer Stefanie Geckler testified in Nevada County Superior Court. The horse could not get back on its feet and was euthanized.
Animal Control officers and sheriff's deputies later returned to the property and removed two mules, three burros, a goat and two mustangs.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4229.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller wants to know recourse for retrieving stolen couch cushions
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller wants vehicle shooed away
- Affidavit: Nevada County homicide victim Kenneth Pestana found with deep neck lacerations
- Nevada County Police Blotter: 40 text messages cause for concern
- Nevada County authorities arrest 2 on weapons charges
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Nevada County Sheriff deputies respond to shooting victims near North San Juan
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County