Cole arraigned on attempted murder charges
June 27, 2014
The suspect in a shooting that injured a federal Bureau of Land Management ranger and a California Highway Patrol officer was arraigned Thursday in Nevada County Superior Court.
Brent Douglas Cole, 60, will be tried locally on two counts of attempted murder and two counts of assault with a firearm on a peace officer.
Cole, who said he could not afford an attorney, was appointed a public defender and deferred entering a plea until July 10. He is currently being held in county jail without bail.
The June 14 shoot-out near Edwards Crossing on the South Yuba River reportedly started after CHP officers received a request from BLM personnel to assist with an investigation involving vehicles in the campground area.
CHP Officer Brent Hardin and the BLM ranger, who has not been identified, headed to a makeshift campsite area off North Bloomfield Road. They reportedly were confronted by Cole and a gun battle ensued. Hardin was treated for minor leg injuries related to gunfire, and the BLM ranger was treated for a reported gunshot wound to the shoulder.
Cole had been airlifted to a Roseville hospital for multiple gunshot wounds after the June 14 incident, and then was transferred to Placer County Jail after being arrested on a Ramey warrant. He was transferred to Wayne Brown Correctional Facility Tuesday.
Recommended Stories For You
Cole had been arrested by the Nevada County Sheriff's Office in late January and charged with carrying a loaded firearm and having a concealed firearm in a vehicle.
Cole — who has drawn national media attention for his political views, including his belief in his rights as a sovereign citizen — chose to represent himself in the misdemeanor case and was scheduled to return to court on June 30. That date has been vacated and Deputy Public Defender Jody Schutz now will represent him in that case as well.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4229.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man agitated after confrontation over stolen water
- Grass Valley suspect in vehicle break-in arrested
- Nevada County prosecutor: Child sex suspect caught at airport
- Nevada County Police Blotter: ‘Blood’ on woman’s face and arms turns out to be paint
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Hoops players refuse to leave
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Water and compliance issues bring cannabis advocates, county officials to the table