Nevada County child sex suspect defers entering plea
December 1, 2016
A Nevada County man accused of sexually abusing a young girl over the course of nearly a year deferred entering a plea in court Thursday.
Randy Jay Hansen, 65, was arrested Nov. 21 and has been charged with one count of sodomy of a child under 10, two counts of oral copulation and sexual penetration of a child under 10, and one count of a lewd act on a child.
Hansen’s arrest stems from an investigation by the Nevada County Sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit that began in November 2014, when the girl, then 9, alleged that he’d touched her inappropriately.
Hansen is accused of touching the girl on several occasions between July 2013 and June 2014, according to court records. The girl told her story in late 2014, and Nevada County Sheriff’s deputies searched Hansen’s home in May 2015. Authorities collected electronics like a computer, cell phone and tablet from the home. An FBI task force then took the devices for examination.
According to the felony complaint, Wilson intends to introduce evidence of prior sexual abuse incidents.
Authorities in 2005 did accuse Hansen of possessing child pornography, but the charges were dismissed the following year.
In Nevada County Superior Court Thursday, Hansen’s public defender said she was waiting for additional discovery; he is scheduled to enter a plea on Jan. 19.
Hansen remains in jail on $700,000 bail after Deputy District Attorney Jesse Wilson requested an enhanced bail amount.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4229.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Separate reports come in of someone yelling and carrying a bucket
- Pathologist: Grass Valley murder victim shot nine times in face
- Sam Strange denied parole in double murder
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man asks 911 operator “What good are you guys?” in more colorful language
- Five arrested in drug charges during probation searches in South County
- Home invasions hit rural Nevada County
- Nevada County fatality: Two killed at Highway 49, La Barr Meadows Road (VIDEO)
- Huge sinkhole opens behind Liberty Motors in Grass Valley (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Home invasions and gunfights across Nevada County
- End of an era: Influential Nevada City engineer Tom Holdrege retires