A non-traditional bird house creation by Wanda Dunn of Penn Valley took the Best of Show award for the gingerbread house contest held in conjunction with the 2012 Country Christmas Faire held at the Nevada County Fairgrounds November 23 through 25. The gingerbread birdhouse was a traditional shape but was unusual in its use of decoration materials, which included three type of rice, green peas, various seeds and grains, cranberries, popped popcorn, pink peppercorns, and rosemary. “It has a realistic organic look to it and was fun and challenging to create, “ said Dunn. It will be on display at the South Yuba Club in Grass Valley for a week, then at Tess’ Kitchen Store through most of December.
Bird house wins annual gingerbread house contest
Trending in: Crime
- FBI called in on pot-related kidnapping on the San Juan Ridge
- Girl, 9, ok after fall in South Yuba River
- (TIMELINE) Follow along Alexander Rossi's journey of an American dream
- Brian Hamilton: Believe it! Nevada City's Alexander Rossi races to first place in 100th Indianapolis 500 (TIMELINE)
- Grass Valley woman flown to Roseville after wreck