Irina Rivkin walks onto the stage — small and so unassuming that she almost seems shy, but for her easy smile and banter. She grabs two microphones and stands in front of a peculiar electronic gizmo with pedals and sings a pretty tune in a pretty voice. So far so good. She taps a pedal to finish the live loop recording and adds a catchy, vocal percussion riff. Then she sings along with both, adding harmonies. On top of that, she layers more clear, pitch-perfect vocals. Rivkin’s lyrics are poetic, powerful. Her music is multi-layered, complex, both ethereal and earthy; sometimes catchy, often heartbreakingly beautiful.
Bay Area musician brings ethereal sound to NC house concert
Trending in: Crime
- Fatal beating on Banner Mountain remains under investigation
- Police blotter: Gypsy panhandler, aggressive turkey prompt 911 calls
- Alleged Penn Valley meth dealer facing federal indictment
- Couple facing multiple animal cruelty charges
- Grass Valley man arrested five times in two weeks