The year 2012 has not been a banner one for the meat industry. Extreme drought has doubled the cost of animal feedstuffs. Undercover investigations documented male chicks suffocated in plastic garbage bags or ground to death, their female counterparts crammed for life in tiny wire-mesh cages, pigs clobbered with metal pipes, and assorted farm animals skinned and dismembered at the slaughterhouse while still conscious.
October is food month
Trending in: Crime
- Fatal beating on Banner Mountain remains under investigation
- Police blotter: Gypsy panhandler, aggressive turkey prompt 911 calls
- Alleged Penn Valley meth dealer facing federal indictment
- Couple facing multiple animal cruelty charges
- Police blotter: IRS, PG&E scammers reported