The year 2012 has not been a banner one for the meat industry. Extreme drought has doubled the cost of animal feedstuffs. Undercover investigations documented male chicks suffocated in plastic garbage bags or ground to death, their female counterparts crammed for life in tiny wire-mesh cages, pigs clobbered with metal pipes, and assorted farm animals skinned and dismembered at the slaughterhouse while still conscious.
October is food month
Trending in: Crime
- Grass Valley movie theater employee reportedly embezzled thousands
- Involuntary manslaughter charges contemplated in Tahoe Hotshot death
- Police Blotter: March 10, 2014
- Police blotter: Nightly skateboarder in school hallways
- Nevada City man arrested for 5th time, misses his court date