MacDonald: Improve your situation by being certain
July 29, 2013
The quality of our life is in direct proportion to our ability to handle uncertainty. The more ambiguity we experience in a given situation, the more angst seems to weigh us down, the less resourceful we become and the less options we see of how to break the cycle.
How do we get our power back? The answer is by increasing our level of certainty in believing that we can handle whatever may come about.
Below are four steps to help you increase your level of certainty.
1. Take inventory of where you are right now and realize that in this very moment things are pretty much OK. Could they be better? Perhaps. But, for right now, it's OK. Stay present and don't get sucked into what you may be fearing can or will happen.
2. Let go of what you think you know. When you know and you know you know, you develop a sense of certainty in how things will turn out. However, your real power is in letting go of what you think you know. Challenge your thoughts that are tripping you up.
How many times have you heard a person say, "I just know this or that is going to happen … I just know it." And it doesn't happen, and it actually turns out OK? Now think back to a time when you felt so certain something was not going to work out and you were delightfully surprised at how it did turn out.
Let go of the thoughts that hold you back and embrace the thoughts that move you forward.
3. Move from probability to possibility. Many people contain themselves in the prison of probability thinking rather than the potential of possibility thinking, i.e., based on how their life has been up until now, they drag that same stinkin' thinkin' that got them to where they currently are and continue to project it onto their future, moment by moment. It's no surprise what they don't want keeps showing up.
Break the pattern and move into possibility thinking. Rather than thinking a negative result will probably come about, think of how it could possibly turn out.
4. Take a simple action toward the something better. As you move from probability to possibility thinking, you will see things differently. It's not so much that anything has changed. It's your perspective that has changed. It's not that there are more solutions or resources available. You have become more resourceful. With this increased resourcefulness, identify and take an action that will lead you toward what you are wanting for yourself that is in alignment with your possibility thinking.
As you do take a more inspired action, you will start to advance. As you advance, you will continue to see more possibilities that you had not seen before. Just as you travel forward, the horizon is constantly changing with new vistas.
As you take more action from the thinking space of possibility, you will see and experience more of what is really possible for you in your life. As the uncertainty dissipates, the desired reality perpetuates.
Make it up, make it fun, and make it happen!
Machen P. MacDonald, CPCC, CCSC is a certified life and business coach with ProBrilliance Leadership Institute in Grass Valley. He helps business people gain more confidence and clarity to live their ideal life. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and 530-273-8000.
Trending In: Business
- Fundraiser to benefit Lefty’s Grill after devastating floods
- New business in Grass Valley hopes to allow everyone to reach new heights
- Are commercial condominiums good investments?
- Friar Tuck’s Restaurant and Bar owner Greg Cook dead at 66
- Heavy rains flood Lefty’s in Nevada City, push back reopening (VIDEO)
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana