Grass Valley’s Summer Thyme’s Bakery to expand in fall
June 3, 2013
The scent of coffee and freshly baked pastries that hits your nose upon entry into Summer Thyme's Bakery and Deli will waft its way into a new location, as the restaurant is going to expand into a nearby space this fall.
Summer Thyme's is set to move two blocks away from its current Grass Valley location at 421 Colfax Ave., into a space near Prosperity Lanes at 233 Colfax Ave.
Part of the expansion will include menu additions, as well, with dinner selections, artisan breads, a new espresso machine and a better display of desserts and cakes.
"It's going to double our size, so that's going to be wonderful," said owner Amy Cooke.
“I think it’s going to be a wonderful place for families and people to gather. It’s going to be a really beautiful addition to the county dining scene.”
— Summer Thyme’s owner Amy Cooke
Summer Thyme's opened in 2005 after the closure of Rebecca's Mighty Muffins, with the vision of providing nourishing food and drink with connected service and dedication to the community, Cooke said.
"It's such a wide range of people here, and that's just magical," Cooke said. "We just have amazing customers and staff."
The new location will provide improved parking and space for catering and events, as well as an outdoor patio, Cooke said.
A new espresso machine by Narzoco will also be a part of the coffee-making process.
"It's a really wonderful Italian machine and that's very exciting for us, since that's a very popular part of what Summer Thyme's is all about," she said.
The dinner menu is not finalized, Cooke said, but it will include entrees and salads that utilize local produce.
"We're very involved in the farm-to-table movement, so we'll be developing entrees that are seasonally based and take advantage of the wonderful offerings our county has in terms of local produce," she said.
The bakery would like input from the community about the development of the new menu, which can be communicated through a blog at Summerthymes.com and customer focus groups. For information, contact Summer Thyme's at 530-273-2904.
The exact date of the opening in the new location is tentative, as permit finalization is still pending, but Cooke said the restaurant will definitely open in the fall.
"I think it's going to be a wonderful place for families and people to gather," she said. "It's going to be a really beautiful addition to the county dining scene."
To contact Staff Writer Jennifer Terman, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4230.
Trending In: Business
- Fundraiser to benefit Lefty’s Grill after devastating floods
- New business in Grass Valley hopes to allow everyone to reach new heights
- Are commercial condominiums good investments?
- Friar Tuck’s Restaurant and Bar owner Greg Cook dead at 66
- Heavy rains flood Lefty’s in Nevada City, push back reopening (VIDEO)
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana