Oakies celebrate 50 years of marriage
December 28, 2012
Johnny and Sandie (Akers) Oakie of Grass Valley celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on Nov. 22. The couple was married in 1962 in Reno, Nev.
Sandie grew up in Nevada City and spent many years working in her mother's restaurant, Pearl's Cozy Spot Cafe, in Nevada City. She also received her activity director's license for Grass Valley Convalescent Hospital and currently shares an in-home-care business with her daughter, called In Sandie's Care.
Johnny grew up on the Barnegat Dairy Ranch in Penn Valley. He spent many years as a certified lumber grader, and also owned and operated his Truss Shop in Grass Valley. He is currently a special needs driver for Durham Transportation.
Johnny and Sandie met at the Pioneer Park swimming pool where Sandie was a lifeguard and Johnny was the live band entertainment. They owned the very first teenage night club called The Spaghetti Factory on Nevada City Highway, where Johnny's band played.
They have spent their entire married lives here and have made many wonderful friends over the years. The couple has three children, Jeff Oakie of Las Vegas, Joanne Perilman of Cedar Ridge and Guy of Grass Valley; and eight grandchildren.
Trending In: Announcements
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Nevada County donor pledges to match contributions to Hospitality House
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say