Grass Valley native commissioned as Army second lieutenant
August 27, 2013
A Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi student, who successfully completed the Islander Battalion ROTC program, was commissioned as a new second lieutenant into the U.S. Army during a pinning ceremony held Aug. 9 at the Woo Sung Lee Alumni Welcome Center.
Second Lieutenant Rachel Skalisky was sworn into the Army, had her rank pinned, took part in the silver dollar salute and the traditional cutting of the cake.
Skalisky graduated from the Island University during the summer commencement on Saturday, Aug. 10. Skalisky graduated cum laude with a bachelor's degree in psychology. She is going into active duty in the Air Defense Artillery branch. Skalisky enlisted in the U.S. Army in 2008 after graduating from Nevada Union High School in Grass Valley, California.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Announcements
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Water and compliance issues bring cannabis advocates, county officials to the table