Grass Valley native commissioned as Army second lieutenant
August 27, 2013
A Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi student, who successfully completed the Islander Battalion ROTC program, was commissioned as a new second lieutenant into the U.S. Army during a pinning ceremony held Aug. 9 at the Woo Sung Lee Alumni Welcome Center.
Second Lieutenant Rachel Skalisky was sworn into the Army, had her rank pinned, took part in the silver dollar salute and the traditional cutting of the cake.
Skalisky graduated from the Island University during the summer commencement on Saturday, Aug. 10. Skalisky graduated cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in psychology. She is going into active duty in the Air Defense Artillery branch. Skalisky enlisted in the U.S. Army in 2008 after graduating from Nevada Union High School in Grass Valley, California.
Trending In: Announcements
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- Nevada City’s Streicher House on the lookout for new location