Becks celebrate 70 years
December 18, 2012
Ray and Velda Beck of Penn Valley celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary Oct. 5. The couple was married in Bakersfield in 1942 in the Little Chapel of Sacred Memories. Ray is a Pearl Harbor survivor. He was aboard the U.S.S. Tennessee on Battleship Row during the attack. He was also aboard the U.S.S. Missouri at the signing of the Peace Treaty in Tokyo Bay.
A career Navy man, Ray saw action in Korea and Vietnam as well. Velda was a stay-at-home mom who was active with her children in the PTA, Cub Scouts, Brownies and 4-H. She also enjoyed community theater and bowling. The couple had four children, Nancy, Randy, Greg and the late Theresa Beck, who they lost to leukemia in 1996. The Becks also have three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Announcements
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house
- Nevada City’s Stone House fully up and running after year-long renovation