Anniversary: The Schulzes
December 17, 2013
Russ and Lillian Schulze recently celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary in the Grass Valley house they built themselves 33 years ago.
Married on Nov. 19, 1943, in Sacramento, Lillian had come from Bakersfield to support the war effort at McClellan Air Force Base and Russ was a machinist at the Hansen Machine Shop.
Russ impressed Lillian by assembling a small motorcycle for her from a box of parts. Russ later worked as a machinist at the Empire Mine's Miners Foundry in Nevada City and later at the Aerojet plant near Sacramento for more than 28 years.
Russ and Lillian have been residents of Nevada County since 1947, raising their two children, Wes and Carol, there. Active in the 4-H Clubs, they also enjoyed square- and round- dancing with local groups.
For many years, they volunteered at the Nacho Grande booth during the Nevada County Fair to raise money for the Higgins Corner Fire Department.
Although no longer able to travel, Russ and Lillian traditionally celebrated their anniversary with a vacation. They began traveling during World War II and have taken many more trips through the U.S. and Canada, including vacations in Alaska and Hawaii.
Trending In: Announcements
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball