Chicago Park School Superintendent and Principal Dan Zeisler, left, helps show off the 54 pairs of socks donated by students for victims of Hurricane Sandy, along with students Siena Fowler, Yvette Torres and project coordinator Cora Hughes. According to Hughes, the socks will be sent to the areas hardest hit — the towns of Breezy Point, N.Y., and Belle Harbor, N.Y., which suffered devastation due to high winds, water and fire. Sock collection boxes are now at SPD grocery stores in Grass Valley and Nevada City. Hughes is encouraging community groups and schools to join the donation project. Collections will be accepted until Dec. 1. For information or for a sock pick-up, contact Cora Hughes at (530) 273-3795.
Socks for Sandy survivors
Trending in: Announcements
- Live feed of Grass Valley 4th of July Parade
- Female Grass Valley Police Department officers build bond
- Sexual allegation against Milhous Children's Services dismissed; facility's reporting still murky
- Parade, fireworks as Nevada County celebrates the Fourth
- Police blotter: Calelr reports bear in house on Banner Mountain