Chicago Park School Superintendent and Principal Dan Zeisler, left, helps show off the 54 pairs of socks donated by students for victims of Hurricane Sandy, along with students Siena Fowler, Yvette Torres and project coordinator Cora Hughes. According to Hughes, the socks will be sent to the areas hardest hit — the towns of Breezy Point, N.Y., and Belle Harbor, N.Y., which suffered devastation due to high winds, water and fire. Sock collection boxes are now at SPD grocery stores in Grass Valley and Nevada City. Hughes is encouraging community groups and schools to join the donation project. Collections will be accepted until Dec. 1. For information or for a sock pick-up, contact Cora Hughes at (530) 273-3795.
- Lane closure puts popular Nevada City bar owners under spotlight
- Local sculptor created giant panthers for Carolina team stadium
- Schedule out for Dorsey Marketplace meeting times
- Police blotter: Caller wants to discuss Zika virus
- Heidi Hall raises over $4K in campaign for Nevada County Board of Supervisors