Chicago Park School Superintendent and Principal Dan Zeisler, left, helps show off the 54 pairs of socks donated by students for victims of Hurricane Sandy, along with students Siena Fowler, Yvette Torres and project coordinator Cora Hughes. According to Hughes, the socks will be sent to the areas hardest hit — the towns of Breezy Point, N.Y., and Belle Harbor, N.Y., which suffered devastation due to high winds, water and fire. Sock collection boxes are now at SPD grocery stores in Grass Valley and Nevada City. Hughes is encouraging community groups and schools to join the donation project. Collections will be accepted until Dec. 1. For information or for a sock pick-up, contact Cora Hughes at (530) 273-3795.
Socks for Sandy survivors
- ALEXANDER ROSSI WINS INDIANAPOLIS 500! (TIMELINE)
- Brian Hamilton: Believe it! Nevada City's Alexander Rossi races to first place in 100th Indianapolis 500 (TIMELINE)
- AUTO SPORTS: Nevada City native Rossi gears up for Indianapolis 500
- Nevada City's Alexander Rossi signs as only American driver with F1 team (VIDEO)
- (TIMELINE) Follow along Alexander Rossi's journey of an American dream