John and Marilyn Lightner of Big Oak Valley celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on June 20, 2014. The couple first met at Long Beach State University in 1963. At the time, John was working for Texaco, Inc., and Marilyn was getting her teaching credential at the college. The Lightners were married in Redondo Beach in 1964 and raised three children — Christina, Lori and Ronald. In 1994, after retiring, the couple moved to Big Oak Valley, where they continue to enjoy family and good friends, their cows, yard work and the family pets.
Lightners celebrate 50 years
Trending in: Announcements
- Lowell Fire in Nevada County closer to containment, reduction in firefighters
- Cal Fire reports possible fires due to lightning strike
- Maintaining what they love: Gold Country Trails Council keeps trails in top form
- Daniel Adamik, convicted of murder in 1981 Nevada County case, denied parole
- Community member hosts party for Scotten School student battling leukemia