A gas leak discovered by Pacific Gas & Electric Company led to the Friday closure of Nevada Union High School.
According to Nevada Joint Union High School District Superintendent Louise Johnson, the leak was discovered by PG&E during a routine check Thursday.
“They thought they had it contained, but they eventually had to shut off the gas at the source,” Johnson said. “There is no danger. Staff (members) and PG&E are working at finding and isolating the leak.”
The school is without cooking facilities and hot water until the leak is isolated and repaired, Johnson said.
A district-wide professional development day is slated for Monday, so students are not scheduled to be in session, Johnson said. However, workers expect to have the leak repaired in time for the Nevada Union campus to return to its normal schedule by Monday.