VATICAN CITY — Declaring that he lacks the strength to do his job, Pope Benedict XVI announced Monday he will resign Feb. 28 — becoming the first pontiff to step down in 600 years. His decision sets the stage for a mid-March conclave to elect a new leader for a Roman Catholic Church in deep turmoil.
Pope to resign Feb. 28, says he’s too infirm
Trending in: News
- Man reportedly tried to lure girl into SUV in Nevada County
- Modesto couple arrested for check forgery after Grass Valley traffic stop
- Thinner Winners: Partcipants shed more than 1,000 pounds
- Police blotter: Girl selling cookies a cause for concern
- Nevada County Superintendent of Schools Hermansen supports new computer-based testing